My journey through balancing my world with my amazing husband, 5 wild boys, and running for MY life 1 mile at a time!



Thursday, December 1, 2011

Turkey's , Tutu's and 5k(ISH)

What a turn out at the Visalia Emergency Aid Thanksgivng race. I heard between walkers and runners they had close to 4,000 people! This was my first time attending the "Turkey Trot" I had watched before from the Kmart parking lot ( yes I was shopping on Thanksgiving morning) I was told people love to dress up for this race so I was IN!! Some girls were going as Christmas trees, my crew and I were Turkey's in Tutu's.. As I stood in the mirror Thanksgivng morning at 6am looking like a well feed turkey I started thinking maybe shopping would be more fun! Just not in this tutu! Then the sound of my boys all excited, getting ready, taking about what they should eat before their first 5k the thought of shopping quickly left (no need to panic it comes back!) I finished getting ready and went into the kitchen to see sleepy smiles talking about racing and their friends that were coming with. 7:00 came fast the boys and I loaded into Cara's car with her two and Petey.. Total count so far 2 Turkey's in tutu's, 4 boys ( Dean was with Brandon) and a dog! We pulled up, got out and I saw NO one but us dressed up! Oh well! I spent 2 days making tutu's, shirts and headbands we were rocking the turkey suit. We made our way through the crowd to meet the rest of our flock? Found Dean Found Brandon! We were ready to go... The boys were excited!! Go time was soon, we pinned the numbers on all the boys (total count now 2 Turkeys, 6 boys and 1 dog that doesn't like crowds) and gave them the talk about staying close and looking out for weirdos (not that their own moms wouldn't fall under the "weirdo" classification total count of "dressed up" people about 8 trees, 4 turkeys and 1 Santa out of 4,000 people!!) 8am an we were off! The boys were like rubber bands shooting off the start line.. Cara and I warned the boys to SLOW down they would never make through the 3.1 miles AND boy were we RIGHT I don't even think we made it a half mile before it started! I'm hot! I'm dehyradated! Are we there yet? How much longer?!? After a pep talk they would shoot off again and then it starts all over! You can do this.. Slow and steady boys! No your not going to die! No I can't carry you, No we aren't almost there, Yes you will make it to Thanskgivng dinner, Yes we aregoing to finish this today.. At times Cara and I laughing so hard looking at our FUBB group of 6 boys, 1 dog and 2 Turkey's knowing people must think we are crazy. New flash! We are crazy! We had this vision of what it would be like to trot with our gang but we both knew it would be nothing like that. As we were trucking through..We saw it!! OUR way out! A large group of people that had just finished a loop. We blended right in with them shaving a half a mile or so off the path.. The boys were a bit concerned that we were suppose to turn and not go straight with the others but like good moms we assured them that was the group of walkers blending in with the 5k runners like us! The boys got a second wind when Barrett found a dollar and we turned the corner onto Bridge street.. The crowd of people still cheering after 43 mins! Thank goodness! The boys were super excited to cross the finish line of their first 5k(ish) They were talking about their next races already, finish times and goals..Of course we were proud of our little guys! As I stood back taking in their joy and smiles.. I was reminded running isnt always about goal times, PR'ing and winning.. Its about the memories you make along the journey. Was it nuts? Yes! Was it something I would do all the time? NOPE! But did I love being with my boys? You bet! Did we get good laughs and great memories? For Sure!! Does Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot 2011 start a FUBB tradition of 5k'ing with our boys Thanksgivng morning? YEP and to me.. It will be a sad Thanksgiving when it's not a 5k(ish) because that means our boys are growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment